Oct 8, 2010

Food for the Fall

I am regularly shocked by the narrowness of my peers diets. I brought cauliflower and butternut squash soup for my lunch at class one day, and its warm, spiced aromas filled the air with comfort. But my fellow students, after asking what it was, could only say, "Oh. I never eat that kind of stuff." Think of the worlds of flavor they miss out on by disdaining "that kind of stuff!" Lucky for me there is a pot of squash on the stove as I type for dinner tonight. Butternut squash, however, is only one example of the many foods for fall.
Another fairly recent personal discovery is the spaghetti squash: this remarkable vegetable, when roasted in the oven, flaunts a stringy interior that can be substituted for noodles! It has a mild, sweet flavor, and thus pairs perfectly with your classic meat marinara.
Finally, I have learned how to cook up a pot of lentils with a slight tang and a touch of thyme.



After soaking 2 cups of lentils overnight, covered with warm water and 2 Tb of whey, rinse them and cover them with new water. Add a few quartered onions, a few cloves of garlic, a few sprigs of thyme (tied into a bundle), and a few grinds of pepper. This mixture cooks for about an hour or until the lentils are cooked through. Before serving add up to 1/2 cup of lemon juice, and salt to taste.

Fall also brings a finale to the garden production. Are you not blown away by this plethora of tomatos? After an incredibly abundant crop of luscious, crimson, beauties, we decided to clear off the rest of the bush. Joshua gathered them this morning. He remembers my dad making a green tomato sauce last year, so perhaps that will be the end of these as well.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! My theory is that if you don't grow up enjoying the beauty of flavor, it's a process to develop it. I also think that when you eat a steady diet of highly processed, sugary, fatty food, it is difficult to enjoy flavors and textures. All that said......I'm going to try your lentil recipe!

Mrs. Triglia

Kari said...

You are doing a great job with your photography! :)